With “great numbers” of both sheep and cattle, the trade held very well at Maam Cross Mart on Saturday (January 26th), according to a mart spokesperson.
- Dry cows sold from €1.43/kg to €1.78/kg to a max of €1,255 for a December-2011-born CH;
- Suckler pairings fetched up to €1,700 for a May-2012-born LM cow (womb stitched) with her December-2018-born Limousin bull calf;
- Heifers made from €2.23/kg to €2.73/kg to a max of €740 for a 322kg May-2017-born LM;
- Bullocks averaged €2.18/kg to €2.61/kg with a max price of €785 recorded for an April-2018-born LM – weighing 300kg;
- Bull Weanlings went under the hammer from €2.20/kg to €2.88/kg with a max price of €940 for an April-2018-born 472kg CH.
- Lambs - Blackface and cross-breds averaged €68 to a max price of €112 for 1 Texel ram lamb;
- Hoggets sold from €70 to a max price of €89/hd for 3 cross-bred weather hoggets
- Dry ewes fetched from €66 to a max of €92/head for 2 dry cheviot ewes
- Rams averaged €59 to a max of €112 for a Charollais - suitable for breeding.
Please note, the mart takes bookings on sale days a week prior and Thursdays 4pm - 7pm. Management wishes to urge sellers to book in their stock so buyers can be informed of entry numbers.