Some 650 entries were offered for sale at Kilkenny Mart’s general cattle sale on Thursday, February 13th, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a lively trade – especially for cull cows and forward-store heifers and bullocks. There were fewer customers for light store bullocks and heifers, under 320kgs.
“Our sale of 110 cows was completed in little over an hour - the demand would suggest we could have easily sold another 100.” Candler explained.
- 600kgs+ - €1.60-€2.35/kg or €960-€1,630;
- 500-600kgs - €1.50-€2.55/kg or €800-€1,460;
- 400-500kg - €1.40-€2.35/kg or €650-€1,150;
- <400kgs - €1.70-€3.16/kg or €550-€1,060/head.
- Beef-types - €1.90-€2.15/kg or €1,150-€1,570;
- Forward-stores - €2.00-€2.51/kg or €920-€1,130;
- Light-stores - €1.90-€2.45/kg or €400-€885/head.
- Friesian-types - €1.05-€1.50/kg;
- Continental-types - €1.35-€1.95/kg.
- In-calf sucklers - €1,000-€1,380;
- Cows with calves at foot - €1,300-€1,840/unit.