Another small yard of sheep met a firmer trade at Kilkenny Mart on Monday (April 1st), according to George Candler – Auctioneer.
A small selection of spring lambs saw a top call of €125 forked out for a 43kg entry, while cull ewes peaked at €122.
- X16 – 62kg - €126 - €2.03/kg;
- X20 – 60kg - €126 - €2.10/kg;
- 19 – 55kg - €126 - €2.29/kg;
- 10 – 52kgs - €131 - €2.52/kg.
- X9 – 50kgs - €120 - €2.40/kg;
- X10 – 47kg - €117 - €2.49/kg;
- X8 – 46kgs - €115 - €2.50/kg;
- X8 – 45kg - €105 - €2.33/kg.
Fresh-calved Friesian entries sold well especially those with good udder conformation, the auctioneer outlined.
“Even if heifers or cows have excellent back breeding, they must look the part visually.” He stressed.
Freshly-calved FR cows ranged from €1,300-€1,800/head.