Kilkenny Mart’s general cattle sale – which was held on Thursday, October 31st – attracted some 1,200 entries, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer noted that trade was sharper for most lots; he stressed that out-of-spec cattle, especially heavy-types, were difficult to sell.
“Cull cow prices also came under pressure – perhaps, the factory quotes for these may well be reduced next week.” Candler said.
- Bullocks 600kgs plus - €1.50-€2.17/kg or €880-€1,495/head;
- Bullocks 500-600kgs - €1.50-€2.50/kg or €740-€1,265/head;
- Bullocks 400-500kgs - €1.40-€2.35/kg or €550-€1,120/head;
- Bullocks less than 400kgs - €1.70-€2.55/kg or €580-€1,000/head.
- Beef heifers - €1.70-€2.25/kg or €930-€1,300/head;
- Forward-store heifers - €1.60-€2.27/kg or €880-€1,060/head;
- Light store heifers - €1.50-€2.25/kg or €500-€850.
- Continental cull cows - €1.05-€1.87/kg;
- Friesian cull cows - €0.60-€1.25/kg.