Some 1,000 lots passed through the ring at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday (October 25th), according to George Candler – auctioneer.
He reported a steady trade for bullocks and noted that prices were, in some, cases, sharper than last week. “Numbers were reduced for bullocks which created a bit more competition among buyers.” Candler explained.
With some quality lots on offer, he said that heifers improved by €10-€20/head, while cull cows met with increased demand.
“A brighter day in Kilkenny on Thursday for both weather and trade. Is the worst over?” Candler added.
- Bullocks 600kgs plus - €1.65-€2.00/kg or €1,150-€1,650;
- Bullocks 500-600kgs - €1.55-€2.35/kg or €900-€1,395;
- Bullocks 400-500kgs - €1.45-€2.35/kg or €725-€1,105;
- Bullocks less than 400kgs - €1.40-€2.20/kg or €600-€780/head;
- Friesian cull cows - €0.70-€1.35/kg;
- Continental cull cows - €1.15-€1.85/kg;
- Beef heifers - €1.75-€2.75/kg or €980-€1,580/head;
- Forward-store heifers - €1.65-€2.41/kg or €850-€1,160/head;
- Light store heifers - €1.55-€2.15/kg or €550-€830/head.