Some 750 lots were presented for sale at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, November 21st, according to George Candler.
The mart’s auctioneer noted that trade remained steady and, in some cases, was sharper in comparison to last week’s returns.
“Numbers are reducing with some cattle, that are still outdoors, showing impacts of the prolonged wet spells.”
“A bit more bite about the trade with farmers needing animals facing sales with smaller numbers on offer. Hopefully, the shortage will transfer to the meat factories gate.” the auctioneer added.
- Entries 600kgs plus - €1.60-€2.20/kg or €880-€1,380/head;
- Entries 500-600kgs - €1.60-€2.35/kg or €750-€1,270/head;
- Entries 400-500kgs - €1.50-€2.55/kg or €500-€1,100/head;
- Entries less than 400kgs - €1.40-€2.40/kg or €480-€930/head.
- Beef heifers - €1.80-€2.25/kg or €980-€1,235/head;
- Forward-store heifers - €1.70-€2.45/kg or €860-€1,190/head;
- Light-store heifers - €1.60-€2.45/kg or €500-€920/head.
- Second-rate Friesian cows - €0.55-€1.10/kg;
- First-rate Friesian cows - €1.10-€1.40/kg;
- Continental cull cows - €1.15-€1.85/kg.