Thursday, January 9th saw some 500 entries go under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart’s weekly cattle.
Speaking following the general cattle sale, George Candler, the mart’s auctioneer, said: “A good yard of cattle for the first sale of 2020 with all lots meeting a fast selling trade.”
“Buyers showing more confidence compared to a month or so ago. The sale included 150 cull cows which met a 100% clearance.” Candler added.
- 600kgs - €1.50-€2.26/kg or €1,000-€1,460/head;
- 500-600kg – €1.40-€2.30/kg or €750-€1,300;
- 400-500kgs - €1.50-€2.32/kg or €650-€1,020;
- <400kgs - €1.50-€2.94/kg or €620-€940/head.
- FR cull cows - €0.80-€1.50/kg;
- Continental cull cows - €1.30-€2.07/kg.
- Beef-types - €1.90-€2.30/kg or €1,050-€1.360/head;
- Forward-stores - €1.90-€2.30/kg or €870-€1,160/head;
- Light stores - €1.75-€2.10/kg or €680-€880/head.