Kanturk Mart held its monthly weanling Show and Sale on Tuesday (November 6th); this week’s sale was sponsored by Dovea Genetics and Greenvale Animal Feeds.
The mart staged its first weanling sale in July and these will continue until the last sale in December; once a month, the mart organises a Show and Sale.
“These sales are sponsored by various organisations and financial institutions connected to the farming community. We are extremely grateful to these organisations, without whom our sales would not be a success.” Seamus O’Keeffe - the mart’s manager said.
“This year, even though we had extreme weather conditions, farmers to their credit still presented top class weanlings that attracted top-class prices from buyers from all over the country.” Mr. O’Keeffe added.
- LM Heifer - 380kgs - €1,420 - owned by Jerry Fitzgibbon - Dromcollogher and bought by Denis O’Connor - Castlecor [main image].
- BAX Heifer -305kgs - €850 - owned by Sean Lynch - Clondrohid, Macroom and bought by Jeremiah Twomey - Donoughmore.
BEST PEN OF MALE WEANLINGS
- LM Bulls - 270kgs - €760 - owned by William O’Connor - Kiskeam and bought by Patrick Looney - Kerry
BEST PEN OF FEMALE WEANLINGS
- LM Heifers - 260kgs - €735 - owned by William O’Connor - Kiskeam and bought by John Lynch - Blarney.
BEST PEN OF AA or HE Bull WEANLINGS
- HE Bull - 415kgs - €690 - owned by Gerard Curtin, Brosna and bought by David Hunter - Mallow.
GENERAL CATTLE SALE
Seamus O’Keeffe said that a big entry of 350 weanlings and 429 cattle went under the hammer on Tuesday; 120 buyers were in attendance.
- 1 LM – 815kgs - €1,340;
- 1 AA – 750kgs - €1,270;
- 1 FR – 775kgs - €1,010;
- 1 HE – 710kgs - €980.
- 4 BB – 645kgs - €1,310;
- 5 CH – 515kgs - €1,075;
- 8 AA – 505kgs - €930;
- 3 LM – 413kgs - €800;
- 3 HE – 466kgs - €800.
- 5 CH – 660kgs - €1,300;
- 3 HE – 665kgs - €1,285;
- 2 AA – 610kgs - €1,175;
- 1 BB – 545kgs - €1,140.