A bigger sale of sheep was on offer at Kilkenny Mart’s sheep and dairy sale on Monday (June 8th), according to George Candler.
Heavy lots of lambs peaked at €130, but lighter lambs below 42kg were harder to sell. Meanwhile, cull ewes reached a top price of €134 for a 95kg ewe.
The auctioneer said it was nice to see faces in front of him for a change, although no buyers were allowed ringside. Potential purchasers were seated in designated seats with bidders also competing online.
Candler stated although buyers have thankfully returned to the ring, “it would appear that bidding online is here to stay.”
- X10 54kg - €2.30/kg - €124;
- X8 52kg - €2.35/kg - €122;
- X10 51kg - €2.55/kg - €130;
- X15 49kg - €2.61/kg - €128.
- X19 45kg - €2.80/kg - €126;
- X19 44kg - €2.59/kg - €114;
- X8 43kg - €2.65/kg - €114;
- X12 42kg - €2.57/kg - €108.
- Cast ewes - €50-€135/head
- Freshly calved Friesian cows and heifers - €1200-€1520/head;
- Lesser types - €800-€1200/head;
- Friesian maiden heifers - €600-€750/head.