Thursday, September 3rd saw some 800 entries offered for sale at Kilkenny Mart, according to George Candler.
A special entry of BDGP-eligible heifers (organised by the ICBF) went under the hammer in conjunction with the weekly cattle sale.
The mart’s auctioneer reported a sold trade for all cattle, with prices similar to the previous week.
“A somewhat smaller sale of bullocks met a good steady trade with beef in short supply. Cull cows saw a smaller sale but a sharper trade all-round.”
- 600kgs+ - €1.70-€2.25/kg or €1,010-€1,870/head;
- 500-600kgs - €1.60-€2.56/kg or €780-€1,370/head;
- 400-500kgs - €1.50-€2.55/kg or €550-€1,260/head;
- <400kgs - €1.50-€2.58/kg or €440-€980/head.
- Beef-types - €1.70-€2.45/kg or €1,050-€1,660/head;
- Forward stores - €1.70-€2.55/kg or €880-€1,240/head;
- Light stores - €1.60-€2.91/kg or €450-€1,090.
- Friesians - €1.10-€1.55/kg;
- Continentals - €1.40-€2.08/kg.