Balla Mart held its End-of-Month sale on Saturday (February 23rd), with a strong trade reported for quality types, but plainer cattle were easier.
“There were buyers from all over Ireland and Northern Ireland.” A mart spokesperson said.
Bullocks 300kg to 400kg climbed to €950 with the weight, averaging €2.50/kg, while stores 400-500kgs made in excess of €800 over the kg, averaging €2.80/kg.
The spokesperson noted that heavier bullocks – 500kgs plus – averaged €2.20/kg and met with an improved trade due to the presence of additional purchases.
The sale-topping bullock came in the form of a January-2017-born 695kg Charolais; the hammer fell at €1,700 or €1,005 over the kg.
- 280KG - CHX - €980 - €3.50/KG;
- 385KG - LMX - €1350 - €3.51/KG;
- 415KG - CHX - €1270 - €2.70/KG;
- 535KG - CHX - €1280 - €3.08/KG;
- 695KG - CHX - €1700 - €2.45/KG.
Over 450 heifers went passed through ring two, according to the mart spokesperson who said this category met with an improved trade.
Heifers up to 400 kg averaged €2.46/kg, while those 400kg to 500kg averaged €2.23/kg and those 500kgs plus averaged €2.11/kg.
A 595kg LMX breeding heifer led the sale at €1,880 or €1,340 over the kg, while another breeding heifer – weighing 540kg – pushed up to €1,880.
- 265KG - CHX - €910 - €3.43/KG;
- 360KG - LMX - €1105 - €3.07/KG;
- 490KG - LMX - €1390 - €2.84/KG.
Cull Cows and Suckler Pairings
€1,665 was forked out for an April-2013-born dry cow, while a pedigree Salers cow – due mid-April to a pedigree Salers bull – fetched €1,410.
The spokesperson said bull weanlings met with a “fine trade with some keen competition among purchasers.”
- 320KG - CHX - €1085 - €3.39/KG;
- 420KG - CHX - €1150 - €2.74/KG;
- 530KG - CH - €1340 - €2.53/KG.