A larger entry of cattle went under the hammer at Balla Mart on Saturday (February 16th), with three rings in operation, according to a mart spokesperson.
Bullocks 300kg to 400kg improved by €30-€40/head, with lots at the upper end of the market, selling in excess of €700 over the kg, with an average price of €2.45/kg recorded.
Good store bullocks 400kg to 500kg were making up to €800, averaging €2.22/kg, while heavier bullocks 500kg plus averaged €2.18/kg; these improved due to the presence of additional buyers, the spokesperson added.
The sale-topping bullock came in the form of a November-2017-born 535kg CHX; he went under the hammer at €1,490 or €955 over the kg and was offered for sale by a Swinford farmer who recently appeared on Winning Streak.
- 290KG - LMX - €875 - €3.02/KG;
- 395KG - LMX - €1100 - €2.78/KG;
- 470KG - CHX - €1270 - €2.70/KG;
- 535KG - CHX - €1490 - €2.79/KG;
- 715KG - CHX - €1525 - €2.13/KG.
A mart spokesperson said some 180 bull weanlings were offered for sale. “They met with a fine trade, with some keen competition among bull weanling buyers.” The spokesperson concluded.
- 335KG - CHX - €1025 - €3.06/KG;
- 420KG - CHX - €1225 - €2.92/KG.
Over 400 heifers passed through ring two, with improved demand for 400-500kg Aberdeen-Angus-types due to the presence of exporters, the spokesperson added.
Heifers up to 400 kg averaged €2.42/kg, while those 400kg to 500kg averaged €2.33 p/kg with the weight.
The highest price in this ring - €1,700 – was forked out for a 595kg LMX heifer; she was acquired by an exporter who paid €2.86/kg or €1,105 over the kg.
- 270KG - CHX - €840 - €3.11/KG;
- 360KG - CHX - €1125 - €3.13/KG;
- 490KG - LMX - €1340 - €2.73/KG;
- 595KG - LMX - €1700 - €2.86/KG;
- 725KG - CHX - €1735 - €2.39/KG.
Cull Cows and Springers
A top call of €1,710 was recorded in the cull cow ring for an August-2015-born LMX with no-calf-registered, while a March-calving LMX cow sold for €1,950.