It’s that time of year again when we turn our thoughts to the bog! So this week 10 ways takes a look at turf see if you recognise yourself in this one!
- You know the bog like the back of your hand
Been there every summer since you were a nipper you know your plot and by God you know it well.
- You always bring the bottle of tea
Sure it’s the bog you’re in not some desert island
- You forget every year just how long footing takes
Yeah so did we
- You were lucky if you got to go on the tractor ride home while the others were left footing
That was always a great run.
- Your back gets broken
So much bending down, my God why is the ground so far away!
- You never found any of these bog bodies or anything cool like they do on the telly
No just more turf and a bit of bog oak from time to time.
- For some reason its hotter in the bog
We don’t know why this is but its always bloody hot there
- Packing the trailer had t be done correctly
You had to do it right so that the turf won’t fall off.
- It’s a family affair
Mammy, daddy, and the childer are in the bog that day. Sure its like a mini holiday or a mini work camp!
- The turf makes for a lovely fire in the winter
And that’s what its all about. In fact we might even light a wee one this evening to celebrate.