Poll: Should viewing periods be introduced at all marts?


Should ALL livestock marts introduce overhead walk-way systems?Even with the construction of an overhead walk-walk, should marts allow attendees to gain access to the yard for a viewing period? - Share your thoughts!

Poll: Should viewing periods be introduced at all marts?

  • ADDED
  • 4 mths ago

Should ALL livestock marts introduce overhead walk-way systems?Even with the construction of an overhead walk-walk, should marts allow attendees to gain access to the yard for a viewing period? - Share your thoughts!

New health and safety restrictions were officially rolled out for the first time at several livestock marts throughout the country this week.

That’s Farming have been informed of changes to the format of usual mart sales and the introduction of swipe-card systems, while several marts have refused to accept late entries. That’s Farming understands that a number of marts have not granted attendees the opportunity to view stock in the sales yard/ lairage, by allocating a short viewing period prior to when the sale commences and for a short period thereafter. Other marts have dedicated a short period from 15-60 mins to enhance the experience of the customer base.

Reaction

In response to the implementation of these measures, That’s Farming ran a poll last weekend to capture the initial reaction of mart attendees and the results were as follows:

When asked ‘ Should mart staff be the only parties that are authorised to gain access to the mart yard?’ - 57% disagreed while the remaining 43% agreed.

When then purposed the question ‘Do you feel that these restrictions will hinder your ability to view livestock before the sale commences?’ - 83% said ‘yes’, while 17% answered ‘no.

Will these new measures discourage you from attending a livestock mart? 51% responded by saying ‘yes’, while 49% said ‘no’.

That’s Farming concluded the poll with a final question - ‘Should drovers be professionally-trained & certified?’ - 73% said yes, while 27% replied ‘no’.

Poll

On the back of this, That’s Farming will run a second poll this weekend, with a particular focus on the installation of walkway systems and viewing times, with further developments on this story to follow. If you cannot view the below poll, please click here.



File Photo

Similar Articles

Comments


The Marts Forecast
The Marts Forecast
Click to View Weekly Mart Schedules
SELECT LIVESTOCK

Cattle Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Birr
  • Carrigallen
  • Granard
  • Elphin
  • Inishowen
  • Manorhamilton
  • Stranolar
  • Tuam

Tuesday

  • Ballina
  • Ballyjamesduff
  • Drumshambo
  • Ennis
  • Enniscorthy
  • Fermoy
  • Nenagh

Wednesday

  • Athenry
  • Ballinrobe
  • Elphin
  • Granard
  • Kilrush
  • Nenagh

Thursday

  • Ballymote
  • Birr
  • Castlerea
  • Drumshambo
  • Ennis
  • Kilkenny
  • Raphoe

Friday

  • Donegal
  • Gort
  • Kilfenora
  • Roscommon
  • Roscrea
  • Tullow

Saturday

  • Balla
  • Carnew
  • Carrigallen
  • Dowra
  • Loughrea
  • Maam Cross
  • Mohill
  • New Ross
  • Scariff
  • Tullow

Sheep Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Ballyjamesduff
  • Carrigallen
  • Elphin
  • Fermoy
  • Kilkenny
  • Raphoe

Tuesday

  • Athenry
  • Ballina
  • Donegal
  • Ennis
  • Inishowen
  • Tuam
  • Tullow

Wednesday

  • Ballinrobe
  • Enniscorthy
  • Gort
  • Manorhamilton
  • Roscommon
  • Roscrea
  • Stranorlar

Thursday

  • Ballymote
  • Carnew
  • Loughrea

Friday

  • Dowra

Saturday

  • New Ross
  • Maam Cross

Dairy Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Kilkenny

Tuesday

Wednesday

  • Enniscorthy (2nd Wednesday Of Month)

Thursday

Friday

  • Fermoy

Saturday

Calf Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

Tuesday

  • Kilkenny

Wednesday

  • Enniscorthy

Thursday

Friday

Saturday