- HSA farm campaign to focus on Livestock Safety
Areas being assessed during the livestock safety campaign include;
- Is an adequate physical barrier established between the farmer and freshly calved cow when treating or handling calves?
- Is there an escape plan for animal birthing activity?
- Is there ongoing investment in animal handling facilities, for example, crush, head scoop and calving gate?
- Are facilities and procedures adequate for loading and unloading animals?
- INHFA Protest
Today, Monday 12th February, the Irish Natura and Hill Farmers association are set to join together in protest in Drumshanbo Co. Leitrim.
The group is protesting to highlight the need for a fodder aid scheme, in light of the recent fodder crisis. National President Colm O’Donnell said Minister Creed had ignored the principal recommendation of the stakeholders committee, which was for a meal voucher as part of the scheme. While he did deliver a transport subsidy which stated O’Donnell “was also recommended, its restrictive nature has ensured it will not deliver for most farmers.” Read more here. That's Farming Journalist, Kevin Forde attended the protest and you can catch that content on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Kepak suspend processing of lamb
ICSA sheep chairman John Brooks has called on Minister Creed to intervene in light of the news that Kepak has suspended processing of lamb due to difficulties surrounding the Clean Livestock Policy (CLP) for sheep.
“ICSA has spent the last number of weeks highlighting that this policy cannot work in its current format. Today’s shutdown by Kepak, unfortunately, proves this point.”
“We can’t blame Kepak because it is clear that what has been going on in recent days is total gridlock which no business could sustain. This move by Kepak must be taken seriously and CLP will have to be modified without delay.”
- Articulated Lorry went off the road in Watergrasshill.
A milk lorry went off the road between Watergrasshill and Glenville, over the weekend. According to the Garda, nobody was hurt when the incident occurred. They advised road users to adjust their driving according to the changing road conditions.
The following photos were posted on the Facebook page of Garda Siochána- Cork, Kerry & Limerick- Southern Region.