Prices were strong as ever this week in Maam Cross, according to Bríd Burke of Maam Cross Mart. With close to full yard of cattle sold, cows with calves made up to €1780. The bullock trade was up this week and averaged €928/head.
- Dry Cows averaged €1.63/kg to €1.92/kg to a max of €1,300 for a 7-year-old AA cow, time up to a pedigree 5-star Limousin bull.
- Cow with calf averaged €1.98/kg to €2.61/kg to max of €1,780 for a 8-year-old LM cow, with LM heifer calf at foot.
- Heifers averaged €2.46/kg to € 3.29/kg to a max of €1,140 for a 550kg CH heifer, 3 years old.
- Bullocks averaged €2.41/kg to €2.78/kg to a max of €1,100 for a 500kg CH bullock, 2 years old.
- Bull Weanlings averaged €2.60/kg to €3.31/kg with a max price of €930 for a 375kg LM, 11-months-old.
“Sheep numbers also held this week with prices to match. With genuine blackface stock, strong ram lambs were making €114.” Bríd Burke told Catherina Cunnane of That’s Farming.
- Lambs, Blackface and cross-breds averaged €65 and sold to a maximum price of €114/head for five Blackface ram lambs.
- Hoggets averaged €82 a max price of €130 for a Texel-Cross cull ram.
- Cull Ewes averaged €47 to a max price of €74/head for 4 cull ewes, Blackface.
Sellers are encouraged to book in their stock so that the mart can inform purchasers of numbers. Sheep and Cattle sold every Saturday with sheep first at 11am and cattle after. Our next pony sale is April 6th with limited lots. Please contact the office on (091) 552 254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.