With cattle numbers up this week, prices held well this week in Maam Cross, Bríd Burke reported. A “great demand for stock” was reported, particularly for heifer weanlings as they averaged out at €635/head, hitting a high of €3.38/kg.
- Cull cows averaged €1.70/kg to €2.05/kg to a max of €1,138 for a 7 –year-old CH cow.
- Sucklers averaged €1.81/kg to €1.94/kg to a max of €1,300 for a 3-year-old CH cow, with LM heifer calf, 13 days, at foot.
- Heifers averaged €2.58/kg to € 3.38/kg to a max of €800 for a 340kg LM heifer, 11-months-old.
- Bull Weanlings averaged €2.64/kg to €3.08/kg with a max price of €935 for a 340kg CH, 11-months-old.
Sheep numbers were up this week with prices to match, Bríd said. With genuine Blackface and crossbred stock on display, ewe hoggets sold to €123.
- Lambs, Blackface and crossbreds; averaged €59 a max price of €89/head for four blackface ram lambs
- Hoggets averaged €68 a max price of €123 for 6 crossbred ewe hoggets
- In-lamb ewes averaged €60 to a max price of €92/head for two first-crop ewes, scanned with singles to Suffolk ram
- Dry averaged €52 to a max €84 for three cheviot ewe hoggets
- Rams averaged €69 to a max €105 for one cull ram