Maam Cross Mart’s first Monday sale of the season proved a good start, according to Muiread Burke.
With a good range of stock on offer, prices held well, Muiread noted.
- Dry cows averaged €1.44/kg-€1.78/kg to a maximum price of €1,100 for a LM cow, suitable for breeding, born in July-2014;
- Suckler outfits fetched from €1.65/kg-€1.69/kg to max of €1,400 for a 2013-born AA cow, fourth-calver and three spins with LM bull calf, at foot.
- Heifers sold from €2.44/kg, with a top call of €1,110 recorded for a five-star 470kg - LM - born in March-2017
- Bullocks ranged from €2.35/kg-€2.52/kg to a maximum of €1,110/head for 1 CH - 440kg and 1 LM - 440kg - born May-2017
- Bull Weanlings clicked from €2.05/kg-€2.18/kg with a max price of €915 for a LM - 418kg - August-2017 born.
On Saturday, sheep were out in good numbers, Muiread Burke noted.
With both store and factory blackface lambs on display and crossbreds, heavy lambs realised €84, while store lambs averaged €50.
Strong crossbred ewe hoggets were plentiful; these pushed up to €130/hd.
- Lambs, blackface and cross breds sold from a base of €56 up to €84/hd for 5 cross-bred ram lambs - 40kg
- Male Hoggets varied from €46-€87/hd for 4 cheviot ram hoggs - 45kg.
- Ewes with lambs at foot climbed from €96 to €145 - 1 ewe with 1 lamb at foot.
- Dry ewes made from €65 to a max of €130/head for 10 cross-bred ewes hoggets.