We’ve all been on the block awhile to reveal with pride that we have attended our fai share of calving cases!
It’s nearly that time of year again for many farmers, so here are some of the expressions that /you’ll be hearing this calving season!
Before a calving:
- “Ah sure I've the vets' number on speed dial. She'll a grand aul' lassie, comes flying down the road whenever I tell her the feet are peeping.”
- “Sure she only has twelve days with her! ”
- “She's in-calf to a five star,easy calving sire. We won’t have to bat an eyelid”
- “I've been watching her like a hawk for two weeks and she still hasn't popped.”
- “Sorry I can't, I've a cow calving”
- “Where did I leave the pair of ropes? Sure, now isn't the time to be looking for them!”
- “Time to fetch the lub and ropes to head in for the kill.'
- “Give her time. She'll land him yet.”
- ‘She’s got a mighty pair of hip bones on her!’
- ‘We’re got to have to slit the side. She won’t calf this monster.’
- “Looks like we're not going to land him, without the use of the jack.”
- “Wait until she forces again, then pull.”
- “The legs are as long as the Great Wall of China.”
- “It wouldn’t take much for her to go ‘down’.
- “Sure, I came home from the mart and the feet were out!”
- “The dreaded words: ' It was all going mighty until we got to the hips.”
- “The ‘bed’ is out..holy jaysus!”
- “Is it a bull or heifer?”
- “She did mighty to calf him herself.”
- “Have ya an aul' sup of water to wash the hands?”
- “Ah sure her sister had enough milk to supply the village. There shouldn't be a shortage if she had a drop of her mother’s blood.”
- “Upon the arrival of twins: 'She's earning her keep. Sure I'd have settled for one. We're on a winning streak! ”
- “One for the show ring! ”